Friday, April 29, 2016

Search Me & Know My Heart - Psalm 139:1-6

The Psalms offer such hope and comfort in our relationship with God. Often, David cried out to God as a sinner in need of repentance and acceptance, and just as often, he expresses the deeply felt peace God granted him in those moments of despair. Later in this Psalm, David says, "For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made!" Wow. This is one of my favorites - the realization that before I ever existed, God knew me - he knew the plans for my being, and he created me carefully, respectfully, wonderfully.
The beginning of this Psalm, that which the kids are studying this week, paints a similar picture - that no matter what I am doing, thinking, saying - both good and bad - God KNOWS me. He is "acquainted with all my ways". This can be both disconcerting and encouraging. It reminds me both of how much I need God's forgiveness and how much he loves me and is willing to give me that gift.
As you discuss this week, consider:

  • What does "discern" mean? What does it mean that God will "discern my thoughts from afar"?
  • What does "acquainted" mean? What does it mean that God is "acquainted with all my ways"?
  • What does it mean when David says "you hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me"?
  • How does this passage touch your heart and life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment